Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei recently gave a rare and candid interview with Sina Finance, discussing how his company has overcome the U.S. sanctions and outlining its plans for innovation and growth in the future.
Ren Zhengfei detailed how Huawei coped with the U.S. sanctions, saying that the company increased investment in research and development (R&D), diversified its supply chain sources, and created its own operating system called HarmonyOS. Huawei also substituted over 13,000 parts in its products with domestic Chinese substitutes or redesigned them with different materials. As a result of these measures, Huawei was able to launch more than 100 HarmonyOS-powered devices across various categories, including smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, smart TVs, laptops, and cars.
Despite the sanctions, Ren expressed confidence in Huawei’s continued success, highlighting the company’s strong customer base and devoted workforce. He criticized the U.S. sanctions as unfair and unjustified, accusing them of being motivated by political reasons rather than security concerns. Ren stated that the sanctions harmed not only Huawei but also its American suppliers and global consumers who were deprived of choice and quality products.
Looking to the future, Ren outlined Huawei’s vision of becoming a global leader in information technology (IT) and communications technology (CT), providing ubiquitous connectivity, intelligent computing, cloud services, and smart devices to customers across various industries such as finance, transportation, energy, healthcare, education, and entertainment.
Ren revealed Huawei’s ambitious plans for the next decade, which include:
- HarmonyOS becoming one of the most widely used operating systems in the world, covering over 10 billion devices
- Huawei Cloud becoming one of the top three cloud service providers in the world, serving over 1 billion users
- Huawei Mobile Services (HMS) becoming one of the top three mobile ecosystems in the world, offering over 5 million applications
- Huawei AI becoming one of the top three artificial intelligence platforms in the world, empowering over 100 million developers
- Huawei HiLink becoming one of the top three smart home platforms in the world, connecting over 1 billion households
- Huawei HiCar becoming one of the top three smart car platforms in the world, enabling over 100 million vehicles
Ren also revealed that Huawei would explore new frontiers such as quantum computing, biotechnology, and space technology, striving to make breakthroughs in these fields and contribute to human civilization.
In conclusion, Ren expressed his gratitude to Huawei’s customers, partners, employees, and supporters, and reaffirmed Huawei’s commitment to its core values of customer-centricity, dedication, perseverance, and integrity. He stated that Huawei would always be a responsible corporate citizen and a force for good in the world.