Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei on Tuesday said he would welcome a phone call from Joe Biden, if the US President made the call, his first remark after the US administration change.
“I will welcome that, but there has been no call so far,” Ren said, adding that he’d like to talk about joint development between China and the US if there would be talks with the US President.
The remark was made at the sidelines of an event in Taiyuan, North China’s Shanxi Province, where Huawei opened a new lab which aims to bring technology to the mining activity, according to Huawei online community Xinsheng Shequ.
Huawei is ready to show goodwill to the new administration, but that does not necessarily mean higher expectations for the new government, Jiang Junmu, chief writer at Chinese telecom industry news website c114.com.cn, told the Global Time on Tuesday.
“Irrespective as to whether the Biden administration relaxes export ban on the firm, Huawei shows off its attitude first, which is to look for solutions through talks and rules,” Jiang said.
Huawei was placed on a US Entity List in May 2019, which restricted US firms from exporting technology to the company. The US also cut the firm from key chip supplies, which has brought to a halt to the Chinese tech giant’s growing smartphone businesses overseas.
It should be very difficult for the US to take Huawei out of the Entity List, Ren said. “I am not saying that it is impossible, but it is extremely difficult. Basically, we do not consider this issue.”
Ren also said that Huawei will not abandon globalization no matter what the future holds, and sanctions or blockades the firm will face, stressing that it will never sell off terminal mobile phone businesses as some media has reported, but it can transfer its 5G technology.
US politicians are worried about the impact of 5G on the world, we have promised before that we can transfer 5G technology entirety, not just authorize production, but also source code, and all hardware design secrets, know-how, Ren said.
“We can also transfer the chip design technology, but so far no US company has negotiated with us,” said the CEO.
Analysts have noted that the firm is now under “extreme pressure” as chips are running out and smartphone shares both at home and abroad are dropping, where its key revenue is generated.
Ren downplays the impact during the Tuesday meeting, saying losses could be compensated from other new sectors it’s now building within the year.